OLG counts on the generous support of parent volunteers in many ways! Most school volunteer opportunities are supported by the OLG Parent School Organization (PSO). All parents of OLG students are members of the PSO and are welcome and encouraged to share their time and talent at our school and parish.
Because we are a Catholic school, all volunteers must be verified and trained through the Archdiocese of Saint Paul and Minneapolis.
+ Volunteer Requirements
Archdiocesan policy requires background checks, Virtus training, and a signed Code of Conduct for all adults who volunteer in school. This includes any parent/community member who reads to a class, who assists students one-on-one, or who assists in any classroom/school activity, party or event. For some volunteer positions which require driving or handling money, additional steps in the background check process are required. Please contact the parish office with any questions.
Steps to volunteer:
1. Register with Virtus Online
- Archdiocese/Diocese/Religious Organization: St. Paul and Minneapolis, MN
- Create a User ID
- Primary Location: Our Lady of Grace School (Edina)
- Role & Title: Volunteer
Once all necessary steps are completed, including a background check you will be able to register for a training session.
2. Register for a Training
3. Complete Online Training
For more information about the training dates and registration, please visit: Virtus Volunteer Training Information.
Most volunteer opportunities are managed through SignUpGenius. If you are new to this service, here's a brief overview:
- For all-school events, an email will go out to all OLG families with a link to the SignUpGenius webpage where parents can volunteer for the event.
- In addition, events communicated via the OLG website News and the Weekender will contain direct links to the sign-up page.
- Your first time on SignUpGenius, you will need to set up an account. Click here for instructions.
- Once you sign-up for a particular event, you will receive an email confirmation. And closer to the event date, you will get reminders and updates.
- To review what you have signed up for, simply sign in to your account and you will find a summary of all your commitments.
Classroom Volunteer Opportunities
Room Parents will communicate needs on behalf of teachers. At the beginning of the school year, there is a coffee for each grade; parents can sign up for many classroom opportunities at this time. Room Parents email the class distribution list to publicize additional volunteer opportunities as they come up during the year.
+ Room Parents
Each classroom has two room parents, who sign up at Registration. If a classroom has more than two volunteers, room parents will be chosen by lottery. Room parents are an essential support to teachers. They assist with holiday parties, getting volunteers for field trips and special events, and many other tasks. Room parents in each grade organize a parents’ gathering once per year to build community among parents with same-age children.
All-School Volunteer Opportunities
The following links are active when various positions are open for sign up.